This late Georgian Mahogany sofa table was in good original condition. It needed a repair to the broken knuckle hinge. The original finish was cleaned, touched up then rebuilt with a polishing rubber. Below is a few images of the repairs, the knuckle hinge was rebuilt and refitted.
Some years ago I build a pair of simple solid Rock Maple Bookcases for a clinet. He recently asked me to make another one with a built in wine rack. They are made to suit a modern apartment, simple in style with exposed joinery. They are made out of solid American Maple which looks fantastic and will last a life time. The shelves are fully adjustable and the open back sits up against the wall. See below for a few images.
Georgian Mahogany chest on chestRead More
Over the years I have worked on a lot of Rosenstengel furniture. Below is a tea trolley that I have restored. This piece had a very red polish on it which was probably from a pervious restoration. The customer wanted it to go back to a natural Maple colour. After the existing red polish was washed off the piece was sanded and hand French Polished.
This desk I have recently finished restoring. The desk was originally made for telecom by the department of public works. It had been well made out of solid silky oak and restored nicely. Bellow are a few images of the restoration process.
This quite stunning bed needed work on the threaded sections of the posts. The old threads were loose and some of the nuts were missing. Below are some images of the required work
Georgian Mahogany longcase clock.Read More
I wanted to show people some of the repairs that are often involved in a piece that superficially may look to be in ok condition. This clock through out it's life had many home repairs and patch up jobs, but the damaged was never fixed properly and it was in desperate need of structural work and repairs to the veneer. The base of the clock was completely smashed, (bases of longcase clocks are are often damaged as the weights get dropped). The images below are just a small selection of the repairs. The first two images are before and after shots, the clock was restored in two stages which is why there is no hood. I will try to post an image of the compleat finished clock when I can.
I wanted to share with people a cedar wash stand that we worked on not long ago. It is a lovely piece in original condition, a rare survivor. When it came to us it was covered in a thick coat of dark wax and or grime. We spent many hours carefully removing the grime to reveal the original French polished finish which was in very good condition after some 170 plus years. The piece required some small repairs, cracks in the top were consolidated from the underside with dovetailed blocks. Other minor losses were filled with old cedar closely matching the grain and colour of the original material. A French polishing rubber was used to rebuild areas of the original French polish that was thin or worn through. The final process was a coat of clear hard wax which acts as a sacrificial coating that protects the French Polish.
I wanted to show an example of the correct way to repair broken turnings. Broken turnings are often badly repaired. An impatient or inexperienced restorer will attempt to glue them back together with a dowel. This never works, structurally or aesthetically. The turnings on this Victorian canterbury are very slender and quite a few were broken. When I repair turnings the damaged section is removed and a new section is turned and fitted, this makes for a seamless repair.